5 Surprising Differences Between Custom Curtains and Off the Shelf Curtains
Some people think all curtains are the same, pick a color, choose the size, and you are good to go. And that works for some people. However, if you are someone who wants to invest in the overall beauty of your home, then you may be surprised to find some of the main differences between custom curtains and the run of the mill curtains on the shelves of the nearest big box store.
Not all curtains are made equally from design to fabric quality and even construction. We dive into 5 surprising differences between custom curtains and off the shelf curtains.
Differences Between Custom and Store-Bought Curtains
Curtains purchased off the shelf from the local big box or department store are limited. If you are lucky you may find a few different styles. each style may only be available in a couple of different collars. Many people do not even realize the number of design options available when deciding on curtains. By designing your custom curtains from the top down, you have complete control over the final product. Start expressing your personal style today by checking out our curtains on sale.
Department store curtains are ok if you are just needing something to add color or a bit of privacy to your windows. But where they fall short is the quality of the fabric. Store-bought curtains are mass produced with the cheapest fabrics. Custom curtains are made with the finest materials and sewn individually at the time they are ordered. Custom curtains offer a personal touch with careful attention to even the smallest details.
When you are shopping for curtains you are likely to come across a range of standard sizes. Common curtain panels range from 45 to 54 inches wide, and most experts suggest that you have one and a half times the width of your window for the right drape to your curtains. If you only have a small window, you may be ok. Larger windows will require adding numerous panels to achieve the right look.
Not all windows are the same, so why should your curtains be just like everyone else. Custom curtains offer you the ability to get curtains specifically made to fit the space you need them, without the fuss of having to make do with the standard sizes available. So that huge 60-inch picture window can be covered with perfectly fitting custom curtains, the way curtains are meant to look.
If you have walked down the curtain aisle at your local department store you are going to notice 2 things quickly. First, there are usually 2 or 3 different widths available. As we mentioned above most store-bought curtains only come in a few standard sizes. Not to mention they likely only carry of few of each type of curtain they offer.
Second, color options are extremely limited. Stores only carry choices that are currently trending and the store buying manager decides to put in stock. If you are someone who does not follow the most current fad then these options are going to be extremely limiting.
Custom curtains provide you with a variety of options. The sky is the limit when it comes to the options available. You get to pick the color, the fabric, the dimensions, and in many cases add design elements such as embroidery for a truly personalized custom look.
The biggest difference between custom curtains and curtains off the shelf is found in the lining. You may need sun-blocking curtains or want to add more depth to your window treatments. By adding a quality lining to your curtains, it helps to give a look of fullness and can also help block the suns rays, if you choose.
Lining curtains also help to reduce the damage and fade that can be caused by the sun. Making custom curtains a long-term investment that you will not have to repurchase in a few short years like store-bought curtains that fade quickly from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Heading – Whether you want flat tabs, pleats, a rod pocket or another, this is the first step in designing your custom curtains.
- Choose your fabric – You are not limited to only the current fads that are going to change next month. There are many fabric designs and colors to choose from to guarantee the perfect curtains.
- Measure your space – our integrated design platform lets you enter either specific panels sizes or the dimensions of the window or door. This allows you to make design changes like extending your curtains above the existing window or have them fall all the way to the floor.
- Decide on accessories – how do you want your curtains to hang? This is the time to choose additional accessories to set off your new custom curtains. Whether you decide to top your window with a custom valance or draw attention to your new curtains with tie-backs and ornate finials, you get to choose the perfect look to suit your personal style.
- Choose your lining – lining your curtains give you the option to block sunlight to keep your home cooler in the summer months and help keep the heat from escaping in the winter months.
Need some more assistance?
Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered, at Emma Custom, our mission is to provide you the most beautiful and affordable custom window coverings to meet all your design need. We are here to help you every step of the way.
Custom curtains give your home a facelift, both inside and out and it does not have to break the bank. By making the change from store-bought to custom curtains you are showing others that you value quality. You can take pride knowing that you have gone the extra mile to make your house a home.